What is conscious living? To me it means looking past material goods, past my never-ending To-Do list, past the current woes facing the world today, past the things that I cannot control. It means taking small, everyday steps to living more deliberately and intentionally, and therefore more ethically. I also think it’s about remembering how many random factors had to occur for you to simply exist and appreciating it. I think a lot of people forget that our Earth is the exception, not the rule.
Here are some quick tips that you can start incorporating into your ever day life to begin living more intentionally:
- Keep a journal – ideally try to write in it every night. Jot down everything you did that day.
- Try doing “Meatless Mondays” – even refraining from eating meat for one day a week can drastically reduce your carbon footprint.
- Set your alarm for 10 minutes before you are meant to be up and make yourself a cup of coffee. Enjoy it in silence and think about the day ahead.
- Take up yoga – there are so many free tutorials on YouTube. Or if you are like me and can’t seem to turn your mind off, try something a that you have to concentrate on a bit more. Barre seems to be the answer for me.
- Carry a book with you wherever you go – instead of pulling out your phone on the bus try reading a book, even if it’s just for five minutes.